Logo Design by FlamingText.com


Thursday, April 26, 2012

SFCC’s Easton signs with Stony Brook University

Sedalia News-Journal
State Fair Community College sophomore guard Ariel Easton has signed a national Letter of Intent to attend Stony Brook University in New York. She is the second Lady Roadrunner to make her college plans official.
“I had lots of offers from other schools, but I just felt more comfortable at Stony Brook,” said Easton. “When I went on a visit there I loved it. I continually had contact with the coaches and built a relationship with the head coach and assistant coach. I just felt that was the place I needed to go.”
Easton helped lead the Lady Roadrunners to an 18-12 record and an appearance in the Region 16 tournament semifinal. She earned National Junior College Athletic Association All-American second-team honors for her efforts this season.
Easton averaged a team-leading 15.8 points per contest during her one season at SFCC. She performed well against a tough schedule, which included 11 games against teams that were ranked or receiving votes at some point during the season. She also averaged 15.8 points a game in those contests.
Easton scored 23 points against Arkansas Baptist College. The South Bend, Ind., native scored 20 points against the Hutchinson Community College Lady Blue Dragons, who advanced all the way to the national championship game. Easton followed that performance with 22 points, eight rebounds, and four steals against the Seward County Community College Lady Saints, who were ranked 11th in the country at the time.
Easton led the Lady Roadrunners in steals per contest with two. She also pulled down 3.7 rebounds per contest and was the team’s leading free-throw shooter with 76 percent. She plans to major in Criminal Justice at Stony Brook.
“I think she will be a scorer for Stony Brook,” said Lady Roadrunners Head Coach Kevin Bucher. “She just plays hard. She can pass, rebound and play hard defensively. She will be a very nice complementary player for them, not only in her ability to score, but also in the other small things she does. I think she will do very well at Stony Brook.”
“I will miss SFCC a lot,” said Easton. “I feel like transferring from the community college where I was and coming to SFCC was the best thing I could have done. The program at SFCC is great, and if you want to go on and play somewhere else, coming to SFCC is a good idea.”