Conway, S.C. -
Senior Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) rushed for a career-high 233 yards and two touchdowns and senior Kyle Essington (Chino Hills, Calif.) passed for 181 yards and two touchdowns as the No. 11 Stony Brook football team (6-1, 2-0 Big South) held off Coastal Carolina (2-4, 0-1), 27-21, at Brooks Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Maysonet recorded his second 200-yard game of the season, breaking off runs of 64 and 58 yards, respectively.
Senior Kevin Norrell (Los Angeles, Calif.) was spectacular again, catching seven passes for 127 yards and a touchdown. Senior Jordan Gush(Richardson, Texas) had two receptions for 50 yards and a touchdown.
A costly fumble by Coastal Carolina's Matt Hazel at Stony Brook 16 was recovered by senior Dominick Reyes (Hesperia, Calif.). Despite a four-and-out series from the Seawolves, the Chanticleers could did not get a first down and Stony Brook held on for the victory.
- 1st 12:06 CCU Bennett 24 yd pass from Hillary (Catron kick), 8-75, 2:54, 0-7
- 1st 6:47 SBU Gush 10 yd pass from Essington (Skiffington kick), 9-65, 5:09, 7-7
- 2nd 11:03 CCU Height 26 yd run (Catron kick), 6-80, 2:25, 7-14
- 2nd 8:14 SBU Norrell 18 yd pass from Essington (Skiffington kick), 5-82, 2:41, 14-14
- 3rd 8:43 SBU Maysonet 2 yd run (Skiffington kick), 13-66, 6:13, 21-14
- 4th 12:08 CCU Height 3 yd run (Catron kick), 10-78, 3:06, 21-21
- 4th 9:37 SBU Maysonet 4 yd run (Skiffington kick failed), 5-91, 2:25, 27-21
- "Both teams battled adversity, but we were able to have an awesome second half. We played a great team game."
Miguel Maysonetquotes ....
- "We didn't do anything special; we just executed the game plan. We ran extremely hard in the second half. We had some great blocking up front in a game that went down to the wire."
- Coastal Carolina's first-quarter touchdown was just the second score Stony Brook has allowed in the first 15 minutes of a game. The Seawolves have outscored their opponents, 90-14, after one quarter of play through seven games.
- Senior Wesley Skiffington, who entered the game 6-for-6 on field goals, missed two field goals (27 & 39).
- Junior Marcus Coker went for a season-long rush of 18 yards in the second quarter.
- Coastal and Stony Brook combined to throw 16 straight completions before an incompletion midway through the second quarter.
- Senior Kevin Norrell totaled 100 receiving yards in the first half for a second straight game.
- Senior Kyle Essington threw his first incompletion of the game on his eighth attempt. He started the game 7-for-7 for 156 yards and two TDs.
- Senior Miguel Maysonet's third-quarter run of 58 yards made it three seasons with 1,000 rushing yards.
- Stony Brook will host Gardner-Webb on Saturday, October 20 at 4:00 p.m. The Seawolves are 3-1 all-time against the Runnin' Bulldogs, including a 76-28 win in Boiling Springs last season.