Clinton, S.C. -
Senior Kyle Essington (Chino Hills, Calif.) threw three touchdown passes to senior Kevin Norrell (Los Angeles, Calif.), and the Stony Brook ground game accounted for 416 yards and five touchdowns in a 56-17 win over Presbyterian at Bailey Memorial Stadium on Saturday.
No. 9 Stony Brook (8-1, 4-0) won its sixth straight game and is 23-4 all-time in Big South play. Presbyterian is 2-7, 0-4.
Essington completed 10 of 14 from 185 yards, including 138 to Norrell, who became the first receiver in school history to reach 1,000 yards in a season.
Senior Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) rushed for 214 yards, his third 200-yard effort of the season, and two touchdowns. Junior Marcus Cokerenjoyed his best day as a Seawolf, accounting for 144 yards and two touchdowns.
- 1st 9:56 SBU Norrell 15 yd pass from Essington (Skiffington kick), 3-17, 1:44, 7-0
- 1st 5:16 PC Mayes 42 yd field goal, 13-50, 4:40, 7-3
- 1st 2:23 SBU Norrell 41 yd pass from Essington (Skiffington kick), 5-55, 2:53, 14-3
- 2nd 9:15 SBU Maysonet 3 yd run (Skiffington kick), 8-50, 4:50, 21-3
- 2nd 5:18 PC Ruiz 8 yd run (Mayes kick), 8-78, 3:57, 21-10
- 2nd 3:11 SBU Norrell 51 yd pass from Essington (Skiffington kick), 3-75, 2:07, 28-10
- 3rd 10:53 SBU Coker 2 yd run (Skiffington kick), 7-86, 4:07, 35-10
- 3rd 6:41 SBU Maysonet 2 yd run (Skiffington kick), 3-79, 4:12, 42-10
- 3rd 3:19 PC Griffin 2 yd run (Mayes kick), 10-75, 3:22, 42-17
- 4th 14:16 SBU Coker 1 yd run (Skiffington kick), 9-85, 4:03, 49-17
- 4th 6:33 SBU Williams 1 yd run (Skiffington kick), 10-82, 6:20, 56-17
Chuck Priore ...
- "We took care of business today. We don't have any other goals other than to focus on next Saturday."
Kyle Essington on success against Presbyterian ...
- "I guess there is something about them (7 TD passes in two seasons). We went into this game wanting to be efficient by completing passes and scoring points."
Kevin Norrell on passing game success ...
- "It seemed like everything went right today. They loaded the box, and the coaches called the right plays to be effective. My coaches had trust me in to make the big plays."
News & Notes
- Kevin Norrell now has the single-season school records for receiving yards (1,060) and touchdowns (11). Norrell joins Jordan Gush as the second Seawolf to have three receiving TDs this season.
- Norrell also has accounted for at least 100 yards and a touchdown in the last four games.
- Stony Brook has outscored its opponents, 114-17, through nine games.
- Davonte Anderson moved into third place all-time in the school's Division I history with his ninth career interception.
- Stony Brook has recorded an interception in three of the last four games.
- Marcus Coker ripped off a season-long run of 58 yards. Eight of Coker's nine touchdowns this season have come from four yards or closer.
- Coker and Miguel Maysonet each rushed for 100 yards in the same game for the first time this season.
- Stony Brook has scored 40 or more points in nine of the last 10 conference games.
- Stony Brook will host VMI on Saturday, November 3 at 6:00 p.m. for Senior Day.