Stony Brook, N.Y. - Senior Miguel Maysonet (Riverhead, N.Y.) totaled 196 yards of total offense and three scores and senior Kyle Essington (Chino Hills, Calif.) passed for 188 yards and three touchdowns as the Stony Brook football team topped Central Connecticut, 49-17, in the season opener for both teams.
Maysonet ran for scores of 84 and five yards and caught a 25-yard TD. Essington also threw a TD pass to senior Kevin Norrell (Los Angeles, Calif.) and junior Adrian Coxson (Baltimore, Md.).
Coach Chuck Priore's reaction
"It was a good win in a good atmosphere. I thought our defense played really fast early on. Overall, we played our brand of football."
Miguel Maysonet's comments
On the 84-yard TD run ... (Mike) Lisi made a nice block, and as I saw the defender coming at me, I leaped over him. I kind of got tired at the end, but Adrian Coxson helped me into the end zone.
Kyle Essington's comments
On having a two-back system ... Having guys like Miguel and Marcus (Coker) really relieves a lot of pressure on myself. We have a lot of returners and playmakers, so my job is to get the ball to them and let them make plays.
- 1st Q Marcus Coker 4-yard run (Graham Ball kick), 1-4, 0:06, SBU 7 - CCSU 0
- 1st Q Kevin Norrell 89-yard pass from Kyle Essington (Ball kick), 1-89, 0:13, SBU 14 - CCSU 0
- 1st Q Miguel Maysonet 84-yard run (Ball kick), 1-84, 0:15, SBU 21 - CCSU 0
- 2nd Q Juan Duque 37-yard FG, 12-29, 5:36, SBU 21 - CCSU 3
- 2nd Q Andrew Clements 28-yard run, (Duque kick), 8-69, 4:28, SBU 21 - CCSU 10
- 2nd Q Maysonet 25-yard pass from Essington (Ball kick), 6-55, 1:31, SBU 28 - CCSU 10
- 3rd Q Maysonet 5-yard run (Ball kick), 12-79, 5:20, SBU 35 - CCSU 10
- 3rd Q Adrian Coxson 19-yard pass from Essington (Ball kick), 7-44, 3:26, SBU 42 - CCSU 10
- 4th Q Clements 50-yard run (Duque kick), 6-76, 2:05, SBU 42 - CCSU 17
- 4th Q Jamie Williams 8-yard run (Ball kick), 12-71, 6:15 SBU 49 - CCSU 17
- The three TDs for Maysonet was the sixth time he's recorded at least three scores in a game.
- Maysonet's 84-yard run was the longest in Stony Brook's Division I history.
- Essington's 89-yard TD pass to Norrell is a new LaValle Stadium record.
- Sophomore Graham Ball made all seven of his PATs in his Division I debut.
- The Seawolves recorded 14 tackles for loss. Jawara Dudley and Dominick Reyes had three apiece.
- Clements recorded 103 of Central Connecticut's 216 yards of total offense.
- Tonight's victory was the first season-opening win for Stony Brook since 2008. 2008 also was the last time the Seawolves opened the season at home (42-26 over Colgate).
- All three of Stony Brook's touchdowns in the first quarter came on the first play of the drive.
- Stony Brook is 8-3 all-time vs. Central Connecticut. It has never lost at home.
- Stony Brook hosts Pace, a Division II school from the Northeast-10 Conference. Pace fell to Bentley, 42-0, in its opener.