Wednesday, June 13, 2012
Journey to the College Word Series Video - Part 1
Stony Brook, N.Y. - After a raucous send-off on the arena steps Wednesday morning, the Stony Brook baseball team boarded a flight to Omaha, Neb. for the College World Series. For an exclusive look at the team's historic journey, Stony Brook Athletics will publish a series of videos to document the experience from the inside out.
Hundreds of red-clad supporters turned out bright and early Wednesday to wish the team well for its first-ever College World Series appearance. Television cameras followed the coaches and players onto the bus, until it pulled away from campus at roughly 10 a.m. EST.
Hours later, the team's plane touched down in sunny Omaha, the site of college baseball's biggest event. Wide-eyed and bushy-tailed, the players drank in the scenery as they passed by TD Ameritrade Park en route to the hotel downtown.
Stony Brook will face second-seeded UCLA in the opening game of the 2012 NCAA College World Series on Friday, June 15 at 4 p.m. CST (5 p.m. EST) on ESPN2.
The Seawolves shocked the world by advancing to the College World Series after knocking off Miami (FL), Missouri State and Central Florida in the Coral Gables Regional, before stunning LSU in the Baton Rouge Super Regional.
In the News...
• Cinderella Stony Brook ready to crash party at College World Series (Sports Illustrated)
• CWS-bound Stony Brook far from Cinderella tale (Seattle Times)
• Stony Brook's Travis Jankowski lives dream in College World Series (New York Daily News)
• Who are you callin' Cinderella? (ESPN)
• Three Mets know what Stony Brook baseball is feeling (Newsday)
• Out of the shadows: Buzz follows Stony Brook (MLB.com)
• Stony Brook's Vanderka wanted the ball in biggest game of season (Newsday)
• Alums cheer Stony Brook baseball success (Newsday)
• Joe Girardi calls Stony Brook coach Matt Senk (Newsday)
• Seawolves, Flashes spark hope for northern schools (Omaha.com)