Logo Design by FlamingText.com


Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Girardi calls Stony Brook coach Senk

By Eric Boland, Newsday

ATLANTA -- Count Joe Girardi among those caught up with Stony Brook University's surprising run to the College World Series.
Girardi, though not knowing Matt Senk personally, still felt compelled to phone the Stony Brook baseball coach Tuesday afternoon. Though the Yankees manager didn't reach Senk, leaving a voice-mail message instead, he does hope to speak to him at some point.
"I think it's amazing what they've accomplished and it's in our backyard," Girardi said in the dugout before Tuesday night's game here. "So I just wanted to wish him good luck and tell him he's obviously done a wonderful job, him and his coaching staff and to congratulate the kids. Because this isn't something you get to do every day and you have to enjoy it."
Girardi, who played collegiately at Northwestern, said the accomplishment of the small school getting to Omaha jumped out at him regardless, but even more so because of whom the Seawolves beat to get there -- longtime power LSU.
"You think about who they beat, they [LSU] have been a powerhouse for years," Girardi said. "To overcome what they had to . . . I think it's great. You have to give those kids a lot of credit."
Senk appreciated the call. "He said, 'Here's my number, call me back, but I know you're busy' -- Joe Girardi telling me I know you are busy' -- so I'm looking forward to finding a couple of free minutes to call back the manager of the Yankees."