Logo Design by FlamingText.com


Monday, October 17, 2011

Carson (Tre) Puriefoy joins Jameel Warney and Ryan Burnett and commits to Stony Brook

Wanting to make his college decision prior to the start of his final season at Bishop Eustace Prep, senior point guard Carson Puriefoy made a verbal commitment Monday morning to play his college basketball at Stony Brook University.A first team All-Courier-Post selection last winter, the Deptford resident narrowed down his final three schools to Stony Brook, Princeton and Vermont. He made an official visit to the New York campus located on Long Island’s north shore this past weekend.
“As soon as I left, I felt it was the place for me,” Puriefoy said. “The coaching staff was great and I love the atmosphere and academic support I’ll get there.”
Puriefoy said he’s interested in studying psychology with the possibility of law school after graduation.
The Seawolves play in the America East Conference and are under the direction of Steve Pikiell, who played at Connecticut.
“Being a former point guard, he’ll understand the bumps I’ll have to go through,” Puriefoy said.
Puriefoy expects to make an immediate contribution once he steps foot on campus.
“They have a senior point guard right now (Bryan Dougher), so there will be a spot to fill. I’ll fill it,” he said. “He’s been there for four years and started as a freshman. I’m basically going to come in and do the same thing.
“They’ve never been to the NCAA tournament. I’m thinking I can contribute to that if they don’t get in this year. I’m coming in with a great recruiting class and want to be a part of what they’re trying to do, which is getting to the tournament.”
At 6-foot, 165 pounds, Puriefoy averaged a team-leading 21.4 points per game last season. He scored a career-high 42 against Woodrow Wilson, which was also the top game in the region.
Bishop Eustace finished 21-7 overall last season and is expected to be among the region’s elite teams this year. The Crusaders open their schedule with Pennsauken on Dec. 16.
“I wanted to make my decision before the season started so I can focus on the season and maybe get a state championship,” Puriefoy said. “I want to help secure our legacy as a team at Bishop Eustace.”