Logo Design by FlamingText.com


Monday, August 16, 2010

Inside Lacrosse September 2010 Issue: Shooting from the Hip - Stony Brook's Kevin Crowley

Last year’s leading midfielder scorer nationally, Kevin Crowley is a big, fast, physical middie who plays at both ends of the field, puts up huge numbers and picks up big groundballs. For all that and more, he was a Tewaaraton finalist last season and a key part of Canada’s silver medal-winning outfit last summer.


Returning to the Seawolves as a senior, Crowley has his sights set on exceeding 2010’s NCAA Quarterfinal finish.

On the Field
What are your thoughts on a great 2010 season?
It was unbelievable coming from the year before when we had a letdown in the America East final against UMBC. Coming out and winning that first tournament game and getting to quarterfinals playing in front of 10,000 people — that was the best moment. Walking out there and seeing so many people at Stony Brook, for a Stony Brook game? It almost felt like we were one of those programs putting fans in the seats.

What’s it like playing with attackman Jordan McBride?
Unbelievable. Every pass I throw him if he can get his hands free it’s going ot be a pretty good shot on goal. I get a lot of points off of just feeding him.

How about FOGO Adam Rand?
Rand’s unbelievable on the face-off being able to control it and get it to a specific winger.

What’s it like playing for Coach Ricky Sowell?
I love Coach Sowell. When Jordan and I came in, he was like another parent that we could go to if we needed something and he understood that we were from so far away. And the fact that he gave me the opportunity to come down and play in the States — it was just unbelievable. I love the guy.

How do you describe your game?
My dad put me in a lot of sports growing up, a lot of soccer. He never had me as a striker or goalscorer; he really put a lot of emphasis on defense. As I got older I adapted into more of an offensive role because I was practicing my shot, and it only takes one good game to get a shot to play offense.

Most important lesson you learned at the World Games?
I learned what it takes to be a leader. You have guys like Shawn Williams, John Grant Jr., Brodie Merrill and Chris Sanderson… everything they say is right on cue and what the team needs to here. Playing with guys you look up to when you’re younger, everything they say is always the right thing.

What’s your best characteristic as a teammate?
I’ve always strived to make people around me better, whether it’s communicating on defense or finding that guy who is open but it’s gotta be a perfect pass… Those little things like that.

What’s your go-to offensive move?
The lean. I like to get my shoulder into the guy and lean and he can’t throw a check on me when I’m leaning on him, so I’m scanning the field looking for the open man.

What’s your expectation for Sony Brook in 2011?
After the god year we had, we brought in some awesome guys on defense. We’re going to be able to fill those spots right away. We’re looking to get more and for me it’s my last chance, so I say why not shoot for a national championship?

Off the Field
This story appears in the September 2010 issue of Inside Lacrosse. To purchase a copy, click the cover image.
What’s your go-to meal?
Chicken parm.

Best thing about Long Island?
The beaches.

The worst?
Gotta be the techno. It’s all the time.

Funniest Team Canada teammate?
Phil Sanderson. But Junior’s a pretty funny guy too.

Favorite city to visit?
The Okanagan Falls in British Columbia. Obviously nobody would’ve heard of it.

Favorite TV show?
Entourage. My favorite character’s gotta be Drama. Turtle has changed over the last couple seasons.

If you could play another sport, what would it be?
Golf.

More epic US-Canada showdown, hockey or lacrosse?
In the grand scheme, the Olympics. But to be a part of the Gold Medal game was unbelievable.

Favorite Website?
Other than homepage, InsideLacrosse.com, menshealth.com. Actually no, that’s lame. Let’s say addictinggames.com.

What do you drive?
2000 Ford Ranger, midnight blue.

What’s on your iPod?
Lotta country music, lotta Metallica for before games.

What would your callsign be?
Big Cat.

Who’s your hero?
My dad.